Store: Inca’s Secret
Location: 8433 S 212th St # 105 Kent, WA 98031
Phone: (253) 437-1312
1. Does the store sell birds? Yes
2. Does the store have a quarantine area? Yes
3. Does the store sell unweaned babies? No
4. Does the store breed their own birds, or do they purchase babies from outside sources? Does consignment birds and birds that need new home. Baby birds will be handfed only under special order/circumstances.
5. Does the store board birds? Yes
6. If yes, are the boarded birds kept separately from birds in the shop? No
7. What are the requirements for boarding? Each boarded bird must have chlymadia, psittacosis and a full vet workup once a year. The store will not allow unvetted birds in the door.
8. If the store does grooming or training, are the birds in a separate area than any in the store or boarded birds? No
9. Are customers allowed to interact with birds in the store? *Yes
10. Is food sold in bulk? No
12. Are potential owners given access to educational material before the purchase of a bird? Yes
13. Are staff members trained to assist with issues such as behavior, diet and caging questions that clients may bring up? Yes
14. Does the store staff take part in continuing education? Yes, by way of attending seminars and etc
15. Does the staff readily answer customer questions? Yes
16. Does the store do pre purchase screening prior to selling a bird to an individual? Yes – will not sell birds to new customers. Will inquire about any prior bird experience, requires multiple visits before being allowed to purchase a bird. The store will also refuse all rights to sell a bird to a customer. You are required to buy a cage for the purchased bird through the store to ensure proper size and suitability for whatever bird the customer will be going home with.
17. Does the store sell ‘custom blended’ mixes? No
18. Is the store well lit? Yes
20. Is there a safe area where birds are allowed out of their cages in the store? Yes
21. What brands of food are sold? (Foods listed were foods available on store shelves at the time of the visit)
- Pretty Bird
22. What services does the store offer?
- Educational events/seminars
Boarded birds and birds for sale are in a room entirely different then the actual store front – you walk into the store and can browse products to buy. To see the birds you must exit from the store via the back door, walk down a hallway, and into a room where the birds are housed. There is a sitting area so customers can sit and interact with the birds. Grooming services are performed in the hallway/breezeway area, out of direct contact with both supplies in the storefront and the boarded birds in the second room of the store.