Store: Denise’s Parrot Place
Location: 7641 SE 27th St Mercer Island, WA 98040
Phone: (206) 232-8115
Store Questionnaire filled out on site on June 16th, 2013
1. Does the store sell birds? Yes
2. Does the store have a quarantine area? Yes
3. Does the store sell unweaned babies? No
4. Does the store breed their own birds, or do they purchase babies from outside sources? Breeds their own, and purchases from local breeders
5. Does the store board birds? Yes
6. If yes, are the boarded birds kept separately from birds in the shop? Yes
7. What are the requirements for boarding? Each boarded bird must have a Full Blood Panel, Fecal Culture and Disease testing within a year to be able to board.
9. Are customers allowed to interact with birds in the store? *Yes
10. Is food sold in bulk? No
11. Does the facility work with or support a rescue in any way? Yes – will also refer customers to local rescues
12. Are potential owners given access to educational material before the purchase of a bird? Yes
13. Are staff members trained to assist with issues such as behavior, diet and caging questions that clients may bring up? Yes
14. Does the store staff take part in continuing education? No organized continuing education
15. Does the staff readily answer customer questions? Yes
16. Does the store do pre purchase screening prior to selling a bird to an individual? Yes – also has a policy against selling a bird to a new customer until the customers skill level and readiness for a parrot has been assessed by staff. Customers also must purchase a cage through the store to ensure proper size for species of birds, and if the cage has not been purchased from the store the customer must bring in photos of the cage to prove readiness and suitability for the bird they are purchasing.
18. Is the store well lit? Yes
19. How often do cages get cleaned? 1 x daily
20. Is there a safe area where birds are allowed out of their cages in the store? Yes
21. What brands of food are sold? (Foods listed were foods available on store shelves at the time of the visit)
22. What services does the store offer?
Question #9 – it should be noted that to access store birds one must first use the hand sanitizing station, unlock and walk through a half door where the store birds are. The area where the store birds are is separated by a waist high half wall, and then plexiglass on top of the wall, so customers can see into the bird area. Customers who have purchased a bird are allowed entry into this area to bond with their bird prior to taking it home. A certain number of visits are required before allowing to bring the bird home.